Welcome to my blog! My name is Rockie Zeigler III. Yes, the 3rd. No, Rockie isn’t my real name, it’s Roscoe. (Everyone asks me that the first time we meet) I’m a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ in Peoria Illinois and father of 4 (ages 6, 4, 3, 3). I also own and operate RP Zeigler Investment Services, Inc. when I’m not home with said 4 kids. Here’s the story of how this blog got started:
I was a new broker at Edward Jones back in 2007, when anxiety about the economy, the financial markets, worldwide geopolitics, and general uncertainty consumed me. (Hence, the name of this website). It would keep me up at night. I know it’s cheesy and cliche, but it’s the truth. I was constantly worried for and about my clients, my family, and my friends. Even myself. I was worried that global stock markets and economies were going to collapse. I spent more time than I care to remember gripped with despair. However, all that angst led me on a journey of discovery and triumph. After completing hundreds of hours study, studying dozens of books, and reading countless finance articles, I have a much better grasp on the global financial markets. Its given me a perspective on investing I would not have otherwise had. I wouldn’t trade that time of worry for anything because its made me a stronger person and a more highly educated Financial Planner.
Alright, here’s some other tidbits about me:
- I’m a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™. As of 2014, only about 20% of Financial Advisors can claim this designation. In order to achieve the CFP® marks, one must complete 5 brutally in-depth courses and then pass a comprehensive 6-hour exam.
- I’m generally a fan of passive domestic stock management. I do, however utilize (generally) active bond management, along with active management in the international space. I normally prefer the Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) structure vs the traditional mutual fund structure (when possible) as well. Those strategies are pretty low on fee(s) which is why I like them. I have more data than I care to think about to back up my beliefs,but don’t worry, I’ll be sharing it with you on this site.
- I built my client base by knocking on doors during the financial crisis of 2008. During a nearly 50% stock market crash. In a town that I had only been to like, twice, prior. Ever gone door to door trying to sell CD-players? Me neither, but building my client base was sort of how I imagine that would be like. I was fortunate to have a few clients to get me started, but nowhere enough to be a profitable, self-sustaining financial planning business.
- I love to write about investing, the economy, personal finance and self-improvement. I’ve been featured in The Huffington Post, CNBC, The Peoria Journal Star, WYZZ TV and US News & World Report. I’ve written two books, one of which is currently available for purchase! The other one is just about finished.
Other than that, here’s basically what I do all day:
- Investment Management.
- Financial Planning.
- Social Security Strategies.
- College Savings Plans.
While that’s not a complete list, it’s pretty accurate.
Alright, that’s enough about me.